Conduct County Business Online

Caroline County public buildings are closed to public access due to COVID-19. Please see below for ways to conduct business within the County during these closures. Each department has options for online or mail-in transaction listed below.

Board of Supervisors

The next Board of Supervisors Meeting is October 13.   Stream the meeting live.  

Circuit Court


We will be taking online payments for fines, cost and restitution on criminal cases effective Monday, April 6, 2020.  The online payment system can be accessed by going to

Land Records  -  Electronic-Recording

The Clerk’s office currently accepts a variety of documents submitted electronically by CSC, e-Recording Partners LLC and Simplifile.  

Documents that are not accepted for e-Recording are Listed below.

Deed of Assumption   

Deed of Gift & Assumption

Deed of Exchange    

Deed arising out of a Contract

Multiple jurisdictions documents   


All e-Recordings require a Cover sheet.    

Pages must be numbered correctly including all cover sheets and clerk’s certification page.

Commissioner of the Revenue

The Commissioner’s Office will reopen to the public by appointment only beginning June 1.  Please call 804-633-9834 to make an appointment.  The Caroline County DMV Select location will reopen by appointment only starting on Monday, August 24, 2020. Our DMV Select office hours will be Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. to 4:10 p.m. at this time. Customers can go to the following link to make appointments and call 804-633-4054 for questions. All customers entering the building will be required to wear a Face Mask and have their temperatures taken at the front entrance. Appointments will be verified and Social Distancing guidelines will apply due to limited occupancy.

Business License

Questions and applications may be faxed (633-3480) or emailed. Questions can also be handled via phone (633-8042 or 633-8031). Business license applications and payments can be placed in the drop box at Caroline County Administrative Offices. If you would like to pay online, please make note of this on any correspondence. A bill will be generated and instructions will be provided in order to complete payment using our online payment services.

Meals/Transient Occupancy Tax

Filing forms may mailed, faxed (633-3480), or placed in the drop box at Caroline County Administrative Offices. Questions can also be handled via phone (633-8031) or email. Payments are able to be remitted by mail or place in the drop box. If you would like to pay online, please make note of this on any correspondence. A bill will be generated and instructions will be provided in order to complete payment using our online payment services.

Personal Property

Any questions changes to vehicles, trailers, motor homes, etc., may be phoned (633-4055), emailed, faxed (633-3480), or submitted using one of the appropriate forms located at

Business Equipment

Any questions may be phoned (633-4059), emailed, or faxed (633-3480).

Real Estate

Any questions may be phoned (633-9834), emailed, or faxed (633-8072).

Economic Development & Tourism

The Economic Development Office will reopen June 1 by appointment only.  Please call 804-633-4074 to make an appointment.  The Visitor Center is now open.  Masks are required to enter.

General District Court


General District Court will be open to the public Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Parks, Recreation & Events


Please call our office at 804.633.7277 or fax 804.633.4136 for assistance between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. and for information about available programs.

During this difficult time… Caroline County Parks and Recreation staff are encouraging all County Citizens to combat the anxiety and the uncertainty by focusing on the value of Recreation and its immense impact on our physical, mental, and social well-being.

Things you can do with family or friends:

  • Physically (Sports, Walk, Jog, Lawn work, Bicycling, etc.)
  • Mentally (Read, Relax, Laugh, Meditate, Pray, etc.)
  • Socially (Feast, Dance, Watch Movies, Play Board Games, etc.)

If you have any, questions, please contact the office at 804-633-7277.

Planning & Building Services


  • All zoning/building/land disturbing permit applications are available in the vestibule in the Planning and Community Development Office during normal business hours (8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday).  Applications and forms are also available online at
  • Permit plans/applications are accepted via drop box located in the vestibule, or by email to Mellisa Blanton and/or Rebecca Bradford.
  • Payments can be made by credit/debit card over the phone by calling 804.633.4303, by check deposited in the dropbox, or by mail addressed to Caroline Planning & Community Development, 233 West Broaddus Avenue, Bowling Green, VA 22427.  Please note that cash transactions are not available at this time.
  • Staff is available to assist the public from the vestibule via video intercom.
  • Applications will continue to be processed in the order received.
  • Completed permits will be available for pick up in the vestibule during normal business hours.
  • Inspection services are scheduled and performed as normal. To schedule an inspection please call 804.633.4303.
  • Over the Counter permits are not presently available.

Additional Planning/Zoning/Environmental Services:

  • Please contact the office for the status of Planning Commission and/or Board of Zoning Appeals meetings.

Sheriff’s Office

The Caroline County Sheriff’s Office is closed to the public until further notice. There is a call box outside of the main office that citizens can still utilize to speak with a deputy.  This call box connects you directly to the dispatch center where you can request assistance with a deputy, as they can meet citizens in front of the main building.  Fingerprinting services are suspended until further notice.

If you need a copy of a police report or accident report:

Police reports and accident reports can be obtained by requesting them, one of the following ways:

Phone             (804) 633-1120 

Fax                 (804) 633-8018

Mail                 P.O. Box 39
Bowling Green, VA  22427


All reports will be mailed out once request and payment have been received.  Accident reports that are not hit-and-run related may also be obtained online through DMV at

If you need a background check:

Background checks may be submitted one of the following ways

Phone             (804) 633-1120 

Fax                 (804) 633-8018

Mail                 P.O. Box 39
Bowling Green, VA  22427


You can also have a background check completed through the Virginia State Police,

 Questions?  Here’s how to reach us:

(804) 633-5400 Non-Emergency Dispatch (24 hours)

(804) 633-1120 Main Office 

Social Services

Caroline County Department of Social Services is currently open; however, the doors are locked and a limited number of staff is working in the office due to the Coronavirus pandemic.  If you wish to apply for SNAP, Medicaid, TANF, Childcare or Energy assistance you may do so online at  24 hours a day/7 days a week or by calling 1-855-635-4370 Monday – Friday 7 am – 6:00 pm.   You can also use the CommonHelp website to check on the status of your application.  If you need to call our office, please use the agency directory from this website to locate your worker’s extension.  Staff will return phone messages within 2 business days.  If you do not know which worker to contact or if you wish to make a child or adult abuse or neglect complaint, dial 804-633-5071 then 0.  After 4:30 pm and weekends call the abuse & neglect hotline at 1-800-552-7096.  If you already have a paper application or if you have verification documents for your application or renewal, you can mail it to us, place it in our outside drop box or fax to 804-633-5648. If you need an EBT card replacement, please call 1-866-281-2448 or call our agency.  Please note separate rules apply for the SNAP program so you may be eligible for benefits even if you don’t meet the criteria for other programs.  

Treasurer’s Office

The Treasurer’s Office will be open to the public beginning June 1 by appointment only.  Please call 804-633-5291 to make an appointment.

In response to current events, the Treasurer’s Office is extending the final due date for delinquent personal property taxes to March 31st (originally March 17th).  You can reach the office via email or by calling 804-633-5291 ( 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM)  There is a drop box for payments in the front of our building at 212 N Main St.  Credit card payments can be made online at or by phone (Official Payments) 1-800-272-9829, jurisdiction code 1064.

Voting & Voter Registration

The Registrar’s Office will be open by appointment only beginning June 1.  Please call 804-633-9083 to make an appointment.

Voters may apply to register to vote for the June primary by going online to If you are already registered you do not need to register again. You can always check your status at the site above. Registering for the first time will require a Virginia issued DMV ID to complete the transaction online. If a voter does not have a Virginia issued DMV ID, they can print the application out and mail it to the Registrar’s Office at P.O. Box 304, Bowling Green, VA 22427. You will receive a voter registration card in about two weeks showing the precinct that you would normally vote at.