Improvisation, or improv, is a form of live theatre in which the plot, characters and dialogue of a game, scene or story are made up in the moment. Often improvisers will take a suggestion from the audience, or draw on some other source of inspiration to get started. For budding actors, improv is the ultimate teaching tool. Acting is all about reacting-responding naturally to what has been said or done onstage, and because acting is all about reacting nothing will build acting skills better than improv.
In this class, students will learn the core fundamentals and principles of improv, focusing on various games and exercises that encourage trust, communication, active listening, character building, making a scene, and working as a group.
Each class will be building on Improv fundamentals and preparing the students for a final performance. Improv shows are very audience interactive, family friendly, not scripted and a great community event.
Your teen will work towards our “2nd Annual Improv Battle for Top Banana” in December.
Ages for this class will be 10 - 17
Through participation in Improv students will:
- Learn the fundamentals of improvisational comedy and dramatic acting
- Improve storytelling skills
- Learn techniques to think quickly
- Build public speaking skills
- Develop confidence both on stage and off
- Develop cooperation and listening skills
- Promote tolerance and team building
Start date: October 7, 2020 (no class Wednesday, Nov 25th)
Day and Time - Wednesdays from 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm in Ladysmith Community Center Gym
Schedule of classes:
- October - 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th
- November - 4th, 11th, 18th
- December - 2nd, 9th
- Dress Rehearsal - December 11th (BG Community Center)
Proposed Show date - Saturday December 12, 2020
Program Cost: $30 per person
Registration Deadline: September 30, 2020
- 10 week production session with one 1 ½ hour class each week leading up to the performance
- Educational instruction and activities that focus on teamwork, concentration, movement, voice, play, acting, improvisation, performance, scene work,
- 1 dress rehearsal prior to show date
- 1 stage performance
- Playbill for performance
- Performance T-shirt
Enrollment Limit: 10 Students